Sunday, February 15, 2009

Valentine's Fun


What to get this girl on Valentine's Day? CHOCOLATE! :) My parents decided to surprise me with a HUGE Valentine's day present...a 5 pound bar of chocolate! We still haven't figured out what to do with it*...What would you do with 5 pounds of milk chocolatey goodness?



For Valentine's Day, David and I decided to visit the nearby town of Woodinville, home of the famous Chateau Ste Michelle Winery. It's a beautiful winery that made me feel like I was in Paris for Valentine's Day (ah, maybe some day!). They offered free tours and wine tastings, which is right up our alley. We love wine, and we especially love free! :)


It's not so bad to share my name with a winery :)

The glass window in their foyer. It looked familiar, and then I realized why. :)

Our next stop was right across the street, to the Red Hook Brewery. This was one of the first Washington microbrewies, starting in our year-- 1981! They now distribute all across the country, and have a huge factory! However, back when they began, they started right in Ballard (next to Mars Hill)! Apparently, Ballard drinks a lot of beer, so they decided it would be a good place to start! ;)

We took this picture because it shows the location of their old factory...those of you who have visited us, take a close look and see if you recognize that building. Hint: you've visited this location and tasted it's yummy, chocolatey goodness. That's right, it's the home of Theo's Chocolate! So, I guess a good factory just keeps pumping out good things! :)


It was a fun tour, and a nice time to try some new brews...David is planning to try his hand at brewing his own beer, so I tried to take lots of notes. ;)
We had such a great day, and after a very busy week, we were so thankful to be able to spend the day together, relaxing and exploring new parts of Washington state...and we were blessed with lots of sunshine, which was a gift and of itself!! :)

*In defense of "not knowing what to do" with chocolate (almost blasphemy, I know), I must confess that I don't really eat much milk chocolate. (I'm more of a 70% or darker kind of girl)...but, that's probably a good thing ...dark chocolate may be full of antioxidants, but 5 pounds might fill up my arteries as well. Thanks for thinking of me Dad, love you! :)





7 comments:

Anonymous said...

But, but... Theo's is in Fremont. And alarmingly close to our new apartment. In fact, now that you mention it, I may have to walk over there and get some chocolate today. Nom nom nom :D

Michelle P said...

Ah, correct you are Beth! I left out a few details of the story because I thought it might bore people, and because I thought no one would catch on...but you did! You must live in Fremont or something? ;)
Anyways, long story short, they originally set up shop somewhere in Ballard, and once they got popular, they moved to the Fremont factory.
I hope your new apartment is working out well. It would be very dangerous for my bank account and waist line if I was within walking distance of Theo's!!...I've been craving their new(er) Jane Goodall 70% bar for a few weeks now. You'll have to try it out if you haven't yet...you've got a great excuse to try all kinds of chocolate yumminess, afterall...you've got a young babe to feed! :)

The Johnson Family said...

Looks like a really fun Valentine's Day! I'm glad you guys were able to get away and do something fun.

I know what you should do with the chocolate! Take it camping and tell everyone they have to help you eat enough smores to use the whole bar...Everyone might come back with buttons popping off their clothes, but at least the bar would have gone towards a good cause! :)lol.

The Pichura Family said...

Kim...that is a fantastic idea!!!! Or, you could just let me start eating it now and I will have it finished by camping time! :)

Kimiko said...

I say just smother it with peanut butter and just start chowing down! :)

Michelle P said...

Those are some great ideas...but, I think I might have to spare the Parker clan the added pounds and high cholesterol. :)
I decided I'm going to take it to work for Mardi Gras-- the nuns are having a party, so I figure it will give them something fun to talk about (and eat!)

Abigail said...

I'm not part of the Parker clan.

Mail it to the East Coast!
C'mon!!!!