Friday, April 18, 2008

April SNOW showers bring...Tulips?

We've heard a lot of talk about the tulip fields north of Seattle. They seem to be some sort of rite to Spring out here in the Northwest. So, with the well-wishes and advice of many coworkers, we decided to drive up to Mt. Vernon aka "Tulip-Land" today. It all started out beautiful-- partly sunny skies, no rain. And then, out of nowhere...SNOW. I've been assured by many locals that snow only occurs once or twice during a Seattle winter, yet there we were, driving in 2 inches of snow on the interstate! It was strange...kind of felt like we were back home in PA! :) Apparently, there is a"convergence zone" north of Seattle that encourages rebel weather like this...I'm glad we decided not to live in that zone! Fortunately, once we left that area, the snow ceased and we were left with a gorgeous day for tulip-looking...

The tulips were beautiful..fields and fields of bright colors waving around in the wind. I felt like I was Alice in Wonderland. :)









On the way home, we once again had the "privilege" of driving through the snow again! And this time, it really looked like a good old "Nor'easter!" It was a little surreal to go from Spring tulips to Winter Wonderland in a matter of minutes...
this definitely takes the cake for our weirdest Seattle weather yet. :)

5 comments:

Nobody said...

The flowers are beautiful. I really enjoyed the photos. JoeyV

Kristin said...

Hi my dear brother and sister-in-law!!!! It's been a while since I have been on you blog...and I had so much fun looking at all the pictures and reading all your witty words, Michelle...I am not joking...your blog is beautiful both in picture and word!!! I can't wait to visit you guys at some point...it's so beautiful! Love you and miss you and wish we could be with you!

Abigail said...

These are beautiful pictures! I only wish I could walk through them in person.

Weird about the snow-- really, completely, totally weird to see those bursts of pure color sandwiched in between gloomy snowshots.

Michelle P said...

Thanks for the generous comments on the pictures...unfortunately I can't take credit for most of them, since David had the camera most of the trip. I did, however, snag it for the snow pictures...mostly because I was in disbelief and wanted to capture it as proof. :) It was exactly as you said Abigail, very weird. I think the snow gave me an even greater appreciation for the tulips though...because who wouldn't like tulips on a "winter" day?

SharonHolloway said...

Wow yu guys. The flowers put tears in my eyes. SOOOOO beautiful. I must be pmsing!:)

Sharon